Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Digital Dental X-Rays


For a traditional x-ray, you bite down on a piece of film in a cardboard holder while the dentist shoots x-rays at it. The dentist removes the small piece of exposed film  and develops it (about 15 minutes), then views it on a light-box at approximately life size, in shades of gray, to determine if there are any problems with your teeth. Here’s an example:

I’ve used digital x-rays instead of traditional x-rays for the past 12 years. For digital x-rays, you bite down on a computer chip in a holder, I aim the x-ray machine at it, and the results appear immediately on my computer screen. Here’s an example:

There are several major advantages to digital x-rays.

1. If a second image is necessary, I can take it immediately, not 15 minutes later. The fact that the image is digital also means that I can back it up (to safeguard your records), and if necessary I can transmit it to another dentist or physician instantaneously, without worrying whether the lone copy of the x-ray will be lost or damaged in transit.

2. Because the computer chip is much more sensitive than traditional x-ray film, taking a digital x-ray requires far less radiation. The amount of radioactivity you’re exposed to with either type of dental x-ray is negligible in terms of what you’re exposed to outdoors year after year, but if I can decrease the amount of your exposure, why not? (For more on average exposure to radioactivity, see http://www.iem-inc.com/primrite.html.)

3. The major advantage in digital x-rays is the fact that I can view them at much larger than life-size on a computer screen, in a range of colors that indicates density (i.e., soft or hard tissue). This also makes it much easier for me to show you what’s going on, so that we can discuss your treatment options.

I pride myself on providing the best quality service for my patients, including recent technological advances that I consider best for maintaining your dental health. Please call if you’d like to make an appointment for a check-up with digital x-rays.

If you have general questions about dentistry that you'd like to see addressed on this blog, feel free to email me at sdurante@earthlink.net. The information on this blog is presented for general education only: consult a dentist for advice on specific problems, diagnoses and treatment.

 


1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! This is the first I have heard of this technology.

    ReplyDelete